May Safety Article
A message from Liberty Mutual
Ground Rules for Teen Drivers
By: Dennis Goebel, Vice President, Liberty Mutual Insurance Company
Setting ground rules for teenagers is an effective method of engaging them in a conversation about responsible driving. You just might save yourself some stressful confrontations down the road.
Here are some rules you can use for your own teen. To enforce them, consider adding consequences. And by all means, don’t break them yourself!
- I will obey all traffic laws.
- I will display consideration for other drivers, bikers and pedestrians.
- I will not drive over the speed limit.
- I will always wear my seatbelt.
- I will not engage in distracting behavior while driving, such as eating, talking on my cell phone, texting, wearing headphones, changing clothes, or looking away from the road to talk to passengers.
- I will pull over and park if I need to make a call, read a map/directions, or program my GPS.
- I will not allow more than three passengers in my car at one time.
- I will not drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs or when I am tired.
- I will not be a passenger with a driver who is reckless or has used alcohol or drugs.
- I will keep the car clean inside and out and fill the gas tank regularly.
- I will pay for all parking and traffic tickets issued to me.
- If I am in an accident, I will provide my insurance information and cooperate with the authorities.
As a graduate of South Dakota State University, you are also eligible to receive exclusive group savings. For more information and to get a free, no-obligation quote, call 800-524-9400, visit www.libertymutual.com/enews-sdsualumni or contact your local agent.
Discounts and savings available where state laws and regulations allow, and may vary by state. To the extent permitted by law, applicants are individually underwritten; not all applicants may qualify.
Coverage underwritten and provided by Liberty Mutual Insurance Company and its affiliates, 175 Berkeley Street, Boston, MA 02116. ©2013 Liberty Mutual Group. All rights reserved.