SDSU’s homecoming week culminates with Hobo Day. Hobo Week includes scheduled events such as Bum Olympics, Hansen Hall Bed Races, and the Cavorts Talent Show. The first hobo Day was in 1912. It featured a torchlight parade where students dresses in their nightshirts and met their friends, family and returning alumni who were arriving on the nightly train. The next day, the men dressed as bums and the women as Native Americans. Together, they begged for meals from Brookings residents to make the Hobo Day Parade, where bands, floats and the Bummobile entertain an enthusiastic crowd. The Parade is followed by the Hobo Day football game.
One of the best-known elements of Hobo Day is the Bummobile. It is a 1912 Model-T Ford that was donated by Joe Weigel, a farmer from Flandreau, SD. The Bummobile appeared for the first time in the 1939 Hobo Day Parade and has remained in integral part of Hobo Day ever since.
Yellow and Blue,
We come from the Sioux and Missouri,
The Cheyenne and the Jim,
From pine clad peaks of the Black Hills,
Brimful of vigor and vim,
We sing the song of the prairie,
The home of the Yellow and Blue.
The gleaming gold of the corn field,
The flax of azure hue.
Oh SSU hurrah for the Yellow and Blue;
Old SDSU all honor and glory to you;
Forever raise the gong in praise both loud and long
With Loyal hearts so true (so true).
Ring the Bell
Ring the bell for South Dakota
The Yellow and the Blue;
Cheer the team from South Dakota
With loyal hearts so true;
Win the game for South Dakota
The school that serves us well;
We will fight for South Dakota
So let’s ring, ring, ring, those bells.
South Dakota State University’s Coughlin Campanile has become one of south Dakota’s most famous landmarks. At the time of its completion in 1929, it was the tallest building in South Dakota. Throughout the years, Coughlin Campanile has become the premier symbol of SDSU.
Charles L. Coughlin ‘09 donated the funds that were used to construct SDSU’s famous tower in celebration of the 20th anniversary of his graduation in electrical engineering. The final price for the campanile was $75,000.
Formal dedication of Coughlin Campanile took place following commencement ceremonies on June 13, 1930.
“Old Faithful” sounded with pride from its new home atop the campanile. This bell had been taken from its former home in Old Central, SDSU's first building, where it had sounded for nearly 40 years. “Old Faithful” has since been moved beside Tompkins Alumni Center.
Coughlin Campanile is 165 feet high. It was built of white Indiana limestone, red brick, concrete, and steel. There are 180 steps leading to the balcony floor, the highest point reached by visitors, which is 112 feet above the ground.
Coughlin Campanile closed for renovation during Spring of 2000. May cosmetic improvements were made to repair the seventy years of weathering on the tower. It was reopened and rededicated on September 22,2001.